Sunday, June 11, 2006

Rob's Summer Mixtape

Due to popular demand, I've decided to follow in Ben's footsteps and do this as well. So sit back, chillax, and enjoy the ride. If you can't head out to the porch with some cool beers and enjoy these tunes with your bros or broettes, you can go fuck yourself. Sorry, but them's the breaks.

21 hott traxx, 78 minutes.

1. Talking Heads - Thank You For Sending Me an Angel
This song kicks of More Songs About Buildings and Food and it kicks off this here tape. If there's one thing that makes me happy, it's the Talking Heads, and summertime is happy, so there you go. Particularly this song.

2. Modest Mouse - Float On
This song broke just before summer a few years back and we couldn't go anywhere without hearing it. I got sick of it for awhile, but fuck, it's just jammin'. And oddly uplifting for Modest Mouse. But sooner or later, Isaac had to stop being such a curmudgeon, albeit temporarily, and that's what this song is about. Shit happens, but whatevs, it's all good!

3. Daft Punk - Digital Love
I don't dance, but if I did, and I was in Europe, I would like to do it to this song. Are you picking up on the happy, good times theme here?

4. The Notorious B.I.G. - Hypnotize
If it's good enough for Julia Stiles to go dance on a table, it's good enough for me! Hott traxx indeed. The video helps give it that beach vibe.

5. The Go! Team - Ladyflash
This is what it was like to grow up in Brooklyn circa 1977. I say this because I was there.

6. Sly & the Family Stone - Dance to the Music
Listen to Sly.

7. David Bowie - Young Americans
This is easy going, soft, and agreeable. It's also schlocky. Don't think the Duke didn't know this. You got served, America.

8. Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger
I will sing this at a karaoke bar before I die.

9. Cornershop - Brimful of Asha
I don't know what a brimful of asha is and I don't care. What I do know is that everyone needs a bosom for a pillow.

10. The Clash - Rudie Can't Fail
The Clash and their most reggae before they went over the top.

11. The Replacements - Alex Chilton
Ben mentioned that Big Star are summery. Well, this song is about enjoying Big Star. Beat that!

12. The Libertines - Can't Stand Me Now
This song is basically one long bro hug. Jealous, girls? You should be, because you can you have all the pillow fights and girltalk that you want, but you'll never have the bro hug.

13. Wilco - Outtasite (Outta Mind)
This is porch music.

14. The Smiths - This Charming Man
Not too angsty here, and upbeat enough to enjoy on a summer afternoon.

15. Pavement - Spit on a Stranger
Pavement is pretty summery as a whole, and here they near their summeriest.

16. Neil Young - Walk On
Neil's all "Eat a bag of dicks, Skynyrd." Neil rules.

17. T.Rex - Mambo Sun
If you want to get high on a hot summer afternoon, here you go...

18. Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al
Overplayed and justifiably so. This is 100% pure fun.

19. The Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music
Odd that I'd choose a cover, true. But this is about as simple and fun lovin' as it gets. If I had a convertible and a blonde, I'd never leave my car.

20. The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Spring brings a rebirth, but summer is when you really start start feelin' at home in your new shoes. "Since I left you / I've found a world so new."

21. Harry Nilsson - Coconut
Self-explanatory, dudes.


That's all! Thanks for reading, friends, and stay refreshed!

1 Comments:

At 10:28 am GMT-5, Blogger Ben said...

Great songs broheim. I regret that I didn't put Sly on my mixtape. Let's hang out this summer with beer and bro-hugs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home