Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Grammys 2, Ben 0

I officially revoke my previous post about the Grammys being "incredibly tepid and predictable."
Well, 95% of the show still was tepid and predictable, but, two performances of the night blew my mind. First, Paul McCartney broke out of his usual AARP-pleasing mode and cranked out the White Album classic "Helter Skelter." Paul fucking rocked. He actually screamed like he was 24 again and like his legacy meant something to him. I was grinning like an idiot the entire time. Second, during a Sly and The Family Stone tribue, Sly Stone dramatically came on stage in long silver coat and blonde mohawk to perform his band's classic "I Want To Take You Higher." This is amazing because Sly Stone has been a recluse for the last 20+ years. He literally has not been seen by anyone...like the Syd Barrett of funk music. Once again, I was grinning and flabbergasted by the Grammys. Thank you CBS for proving me wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home