Saturday, February 25, 2006

Sunset Rubdown

Artist: Sunset Rubdown
Album: Shut Up I Am Dreaming



Sunset Rubdown is a side-project of Wolf Parade co-leader Spencer Krug. My two favorite Wolf Parade songs were written by Krug-- "I'll Believe In Anything" and "Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts". The former originally appeared in a slightly different-- neither better nor worse-- form on the first Sunset Rubdown LP, Snake's Got A Leg. This isn't to shit on Wolf Parade's other half, Dan "This Heart's On Fire" Boeckner, because his songs are equally great. But I just feel like I have a better connection with Krug's songwriting.

That said, there's something I like about Krug when he is outside of Wolf Parade. I don't want to say that Sunset Rubdown is a stripped down of Wolf Parade, because it isn't. What Sunset Rubdown brings is a less anthemic, not so down-on-my-knees feeling than its Sub Pop brother. This is to say, Wolf Parade is for arenas and Sunset Rubdown is for small clubs.

Sunset Rubdown just released a self-titled EP that is more or less a hint of what's to come on the forthcoming full-length, Shut Up I Am Dreaming, which is due in May. The sound of the LP is more fleshed out than the more lo-fi Snake's Got A Leg. This is due in part to a full-band, which creates a fuller-- but not bigger-- sound.

Spencer Krug is quietly establishing himself as one of the best songwriters of the moment.

1 Comments:

At 10:48 am GMT-6, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ughh. what's a dude have to do to get a little SRubdown love around here? i can't wait no more. dig the site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home